Comfort Food - Could This Be Any Worse For You?

Last night my daughter sent me a text message asking for a recipe for Tuna Casserole. Apparently, her brother requested she make it for dinner. I hadn't made this is so long that the dish is a distant and frightening memory. But, he likes it. He ate it. He wants it again. So - here's to you Hijo Primero! Maybe there is another person out there that like things made from Campbell's soup.

The Worst Possible Tuna Casserole On The Face Of The Planet

1 to 2 - 6 oz cans Tuna, packed in water, drained
1 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional, will not make it healthier in the least)
1 can (10.75 oz) Mushroom Soup (the kind with the garlic in it is best)
1/2 soup can half and half
1/2 tsp pepper
Salt to taste (do you really want or need more?)
1 - 8 oz pkg egg noodles cooked according to package directions
1 cup shredded cheese
Bread Crumbs

In a large mixing bowl, stir Tuna together with peas, soup, half and half, salt and pepper.
Add cooked noodles and stir to coat thoroughly.
Pour into 13x9 baking dish coated with non stick spray.
Top with cheese then sprinkle bread crumbs over all.
Bake in 350 degree oven until browned.

This is true comfort food for the oldest son. If you care to make it, please do not sue me for any high blood pressure or hardening of the arteries that may occur. Partake of this at your own risk! (the aforementioned is a caution to protect me from any lawsuit that may result from consumption of this "comfort food")



Comments

Gina said…
You could substitute the mushroom soup for the lower-fat version and add some garlic to it, and use fat-free cheese and the No-Yolks egg noodles. That would help cut down on a few calories and fat grams.
Gina said…
Oh, and use the fat-free half and half, too. I know, I know, fat-free stuff is usually gross and tasteless, but if used in cooking I have yet to notice a significant difference in flavors.
I'm with you on this one, Bev!
Every now and then Pa and the kiddoes will get a hankerin' for this. On those evenings I let them enjoy their meal together, while I opt to dine seperately.