Nettle Soup


Nettle Soup, originally uploaded by emmasdaughter.

Stinging Nettles, yes, stinging nettles. An herb that goes into my top 100 super foods list. Why? Because they are good, good, good for you! Not only are they high in iron and vitamin K, they are also a great supplier of vitamin D. You men out there, they are great for non malignant prostate enlargement. Allergies? High blood pressure? Arthritis? Gingivitis? Partake of stinging nettles.

Here is just one site that discussed the amazing properties of this herb.

This herb is so amazing that I would cultivate it if I could find enough rhizomes not currently sporting their prickly companions. So I will just settle for the leaves in my soup.

First, you must clean them of their grit and any darkened or wilted leaves. food 083Make sure you have a pair of thick rubber gloves on your hands and remove the tender leaves from the stalk. Place leaves in a colander and rinse well. Leave in colander in sink full of cold water while preparing soup base. Add to the pot and simmer. No more sting! Too many health benefits to mention.

Nettle Soup

1 large bunch Nettles, cleaned
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Italian sausage (optional)
1 large onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
6 to 8 leaves, any other green of choice, optional (spinach, escarole, chard, etc.)
1 hot pepper, diced, also optional

In large pot, over medium heat, saute sausage, onions and garlic until onions are soft. Add broth, salt, hot pepper and black pepper and bring to boil. Carefully add nettles (don't forget to wear your gloves) and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

Another "to your health" recipe! Enjoy.

Comments

Gina said…
Um... isn't this the weed you told your children to avoid? And that you pulled out in droves from your garden, cursing all the while as they stung your wrists because your gardening gloves weren't long enough? Did I miss something?
Nope, different weed. This is one that surrounded my house when I lived in Yelm, Washington. Used it in cooking then, have missed it every since. It needs a lot of moisture and wouldn't grow on a bet in Wyoming!
This sounds fantastic!

The leaf you saw my damselfly resting on was blackberry, something that grows like a weed around here. We had lots of stinging nettles where we lived outside of Portland, and I'm sure we could find some nearby now.They were a Spring time favorite of Daniel's in years past. Armed with this recipe, think I'm going to have to go in search of them again.

Thank you for sharing!
Becca said…
I don't know ... I think I am scared!