Comfort Food, Mexican Style

Chicken Mole Enchilada

Mexican food has always been my comfort food. It is warming, it is filling, it is "curl up in front of the television with a good movie and veg" food. And, alas, I am making this big dish of comfort for the staff of my Boyfriend's office. (see my sad face).

The menu consists of the inevitable pairing of rice and beans. Can't do Mexican without the rice and beans. Then, the main course, my own pride and joy recipe:


Dried Currant Mole' Enchildas

2 to 3 quarts Mole'
1/4 cp dried currants
4 cps stewed chicken, shredded
1/2 cp diced onion, sweated until transparent
2 packages, soft corn tortillas (try to find La Tortilla Factory brand)
Grated Jack, Colby or blend of both cheeses for topping
Pour mole into large skillet and add currants. Heat to just below boiling. Turn off heat. Meanwhile, mix onions into shredded chicken.
Coat 2 - 13x9 baking dishes with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Soften tortillas in warm mole until pliable. Remove to plate and put approximately 2 tbls of chicken mixture down center of tortilla. Roll tightly and place in baking dish.
Continue in this manner until both baking dishes are full. Top both with enough mole to cover each enchilada. Top all with a sprinkling of cheese to desired depth (some like more, some like less cheese, it is up to you). At this point you can freeze one pan, covered well, if you like.
Place enchiladas in preheated oven and bake until cheese melts and has a nice golden layer - about 30 to 35 minutes.
Find a good movie, a tall glass of milk, and be comforted!

Comments

Becca said…
Yummmmmmmmm! Mexican food is my comfort food, too! It cures everything from a hangover to the blues and it makes me happy just to smell it!! I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I wish I worked in the boyfriend's office!!