New Country, New Flavors

I know I have said it before, but heck...Ecuador!  I freakin' live in Ecuador!  It is like a dream that I am not waking up from. It is like falling through a rabbit hole. It is wonderful!

We arrived in June of 2017 and have finally settled into a routine of shopping, socializing, walking on the beach, and cooking.  Always cooking.

Upon our arrival I set out to taste the local flavors and develop my own take on those.  So far, the exploration has been a delight.

First, the fruits and vegetables available are so fresh and so local that it is hard to decide what to carry home with you.  Pineapple - 3 for $5.  Avocadoes - 3 for $2 when in season.  Onions, so many that you have to figure out new and innovative ways to use them for only $1.  Grapes, apples, corn, lentils, beans, broccoli, cauliflower - old friends but so much better!  New friends like Tomate de Arbol (tree tomatoes), a fruit that looks like a tomato but isn't.  Maracuya - kind of like passion fruit, only bigger and more flavorful.  It that possible?  And so many more that I can't mention them all.

Shopping for all these wonders is simple and basic.  A truck comes to our door every Friday morning and delivers almost everything one could want.  But, why spend the shopping dollar in one place when there is a movie-set of a market in the next village - Charapoto'?

In Charapoto' I get chickens for $1.50 a pound that are so good and so fresh!  Quail eggs, a delicacy that I couldn't allow myself often in the U.S. are a weekly pleasure at $2 for 2 dozen.

The fresh fruits and vegetables alone make living in this country an adventure. It is going to be so much fun to experiment and learn.  

Comments